Happy Labor Day! Our weekend was extremely busy filled with plenty of time with family. We started the weekend at the USC vs. Arkansas football game. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny California day into a cool evening with an entertaining game. The game was a blow out starting with a touch down two minutes into the game. It was so fun to experience my niece and nephew’s first game! I am looking forward to the season and hopefully making it to another game.
Our Sunday was a little more relaxing with cycling, napping and reading before celebrating my birthday with my family. We enjoyed my very favorite meal (my mother’s chicken pot pie) and BBQ. The evening was filled with the 3 Fs- fun, food and family. I was thrilled to have a day off today which was spent sleeping in (I can’t remember the last time I slept past 7am). The morning was spent on the computer and watching our latest binge show- Fresh Off The Boat. The rest of the day will be enjoyed with my husband and Emma by the pool and reading.
The week is going to fly by with only 4 days of work before we fly out to Miami on Saturday. With some of the craziness of the past few weeks, I realized there are a few updates on situations mentioned on the blog that I wanted to follow up on.
Ragnar Relay Update
After the So Cal Ragnar Relay, I was so excited to sign up for the Nor Cal Ragnar Relay. We started to form a team and plan going up to San Francisco. After discussing the logistics of the trip, we realized the trip was just not possible for us. We already had planned Portland in August, Miami in September and Thailand in November. Throwing one more trip in the mix just was not going to happen this year. Luckily, the early registration just started for the 2016 So Cal Ragnar Relay.
Back Pain Update
As a whole, my lower back pain has improved. Unfortunately, there have been some days that my back pain has really acted up. Coincidentally, the pain started to come back after I took a few weeks off of my acupuncture and chiropractic sessions. I have gotten back to regular appointments which has really helped to take away my pain. With an increase in training, I have been trying very hard to watch my back with the exercise I have been doing lately.
Triathlon Training Update
Speaking of training, I had advised that I was looking for a triathlon plan for my race in early October. I looked at a few plans but all of the plans forced me to create my own plan. I am in the home stretch with one month left. My cycling is on par but the running and swimming need to improve over the next few weeks. I will be sure to share my plan this week.
Tell me: What are you looking forward to?
I’m coming at you a little later today as I’ve been playing catch up from my long weekend in Palm Springs. I am definitely still in vacation mode from my anniversary weekend. I will have a full recap up of the weekend later this week.
1) Pro Compression Grab Bag Sale– I was so excited to get this email yesterday as I have been needing to get compression socks! Perfect sale at the perfect timing.. make sure you jump on it as the sale is for a limited time. You can get the grab bag at http://procompression.com/.
2) This weekend was filled with enjoying the beautiful California weather. In one day I was able to hike through the snow and then enjoy 80 degree weather by the pool. As I was laying out by the pool, my mom sent me a picture of Emma enjoying the summer sun as well. Like mother and daughter, she loves to sun bathe! Despite how she looks, no, she is not dead, she is just a very heavy sleeper!
3) I saw this picture on instagram and knew someone who feels as strongly as I do about experiencing the world wrote this: “I want to travel across the world and breathe the air of new places.”
4) Speaking of traveling the world- we booked our next trip which I am thrilled about. I will get to ring in my 27th birthday in Portland, OR. It will be a weekend filled with enjoying all the beautiful nature spots the city has to offer. Due to this trip in addition to Miami, FL, San Francisco, CA and Thailand this year, we will be taking the summer easy. Now that this is the next trip on our calendar, I am thrilled to start researching what to see and do in the city.
5) Following my post yesterday about the start of my triathlon training, I was excited to see a Sprint Tri List today on one of my favorite blogs! It made me even more excited to get back into the triathlon. Caitlin just finished a sprint tri over the weekend with some great tri information on her blog. If you are looking for a great blog to follow and some information on triathlon training, make sure to follow The Healthy Tipping Point.
Have a great Tuesday- see you back tomorrow for a Wednesday Workout!
Tell me: Have you visited Portland, OR? Are you a snow bunny or sun bather?
When I decided to take a break from running earlier this month to get my back fixed, I kept thinking about what I would do this summer as my workout plan. Most important this summer is to work with my doctors & physical therapists to eliminate my back pain which translates into workouts that strengthen my back, not aggravate it. Hence why running is out of the question for a while.
Last April I completed my first reverse sprint triathlon. I trained heavily on running and biking since the swim was so short. I am a decent swimmer but definitely could use improvement on longer swims. I placed 3rd in my age category and swore I would do another one that year. Here we are a year later and I have yet to even get back in the pool for swimming. Guess my mom wasn’t kidding when she said life flies by you when you are an adult! My physical therapist has highly recommended getting back into swimming as it is a workout that is not only great cardio but a workout that will not hurt my back.
All of this has led me to decide this summer it is time to get back into triathlon training. With the recommendation of swimming and the fact that I have to cycle 4x a week since I teach, there is no better time. That decision led me to take my first two steps into training: 1) I bought a road bike and 2) I got in the pool for the first time in over a year! While the road bike is nothing fancy, it will do the trick in helping me train for the cycle portion. My swimming needs the most improvement. After my swim workout this past week I kept asking myself why did it take so long to get back in the pool? I am a water baby at heart. Swimming is not only great cardio but much easier on the body than most.
For May and June, I plan to stick to cycle and swim as my main workouts. I will supplement my workouts with yoga and weight training. Starting in July, I will follow a triathlon training plan to get me ready for a sprint triathlon. I am still looking into which plan I will follow but will narrow it down in June. Although a little nervous, I am extremely excited to get back into a training schedule and hopefully conquer the triathlon again!
If you’re looking for some sprint triathlon plans, here are some I have been looking at:
Womens Health 12 Week Plan
Beginner Triathlete Plan
Mens Health 12 Week Plan
Have you done a triathlon before? Would you do one?